Book online with us your Algarve Holiday in Castro Marim - golf tee times, golf packages, hotels and transfers at the online lowest rate, guaranteed.
Private Airport Transfer:
Nearby Golf Courses:
The town of Castro Marim has been in existence since early recorded times and in the Roman times it was called Aesuris. Located on teh extreme east side of the Algarve it is on the west bank of the River Guadiana overlooking the other river bank side which is in neighboring Spain. It is a historic place which is born out by the ruins of its castle and fort walls. In 1242 it was taken from the Moors and in 1319 it became the headquarters of the Knights of Christ. The castle became a popular destination for Jews escaping the Spanish Inquisition. The 1755 earthquake shattered its defensive walls but these were partially re-constructed in the reign of King Joao IV. There is also the 17th century Forts of Sao Sebastiao and the location of the yearly Mediveal Fair.
Within the castle there is a small museum that covers some of the archaeological and historical aspects of the region. An attractive monthly market is held on the second Saturday of each month.For some time in August there is a Medieval Fair that attracts artists from across the world wishing to perform as medieval musicians, archers, swordsmen, and dancers. At the same time craftsmen such as blacksmiths, textile and weaving, herbs sellers, provide stalls with their products for sale. Close to the north of the town are two golf courses, the 27-hole Castro Marim Course and the 18-hole Quinta do Vale Course.